VISION FOR GROWTH
Even before Covid-19, South African businesses ̶ and specifically the property development and construction sector ̶ were being severely impacted by our negative economic context, vast political and structural uncertainties as well as endless bureaucratic red tape. The pandemic has resulted in further collapse.
Our key focus at the 2021 virtual conference is to move the current industry debate away from an economic-crisis focus to that of an opportunity for growth. Our goal is to unite the private and public sectors and find ways to unlock the economy and thereby create jobs.
The Western Cape Property Development Forum (WCPDF) annual conference gathers together thought leaders from the public and private sector involved in fixed capital investment, development and construction, and who are dedicated towards achieving a sustainable built environment sector by tackling the challenges and celebrating the achievements of our collective industries.
Delegates range from large corporations, investment agencies, financial institutions and the legal fraternity to independent consultants, service providers and contractors, as well as political leaders and senior planning authorities across various government tiers.
Read more about the conference in the following media publications:
- Asset Magazine News Hub (12 May 2021): PROPERTY CONFERENCE TO TACKLE COUNTRYWIDE IMPASSE BETWEEN PRIVATE AND PUBLIC SECTORS
- infrastructurenews (11 May 2021): RECONCILIATION BETWEEN PRIVATE AND PUBLIC SECTORS CRUCIAL FOR ECONOMIC SURVIVAL OF PROPERTY INDUSTRY
- Engineering News (11 May 2021): PROPERTY CONFERENCE TO TACKLE COUNTRYWIDE IMPASSE BETWEEN PRIVATE AND PUBLIC SECTORS
- PropertyWheel (06 May 2021): PROPERTY FORUM CONFERENCE TO STRENGTHEN PUBLIC-PRIVATE COLLABORATIONS
DAY 1: THURSDAY, 20 MAY 2021 | 11h30 – 14h30
|Session 1: THINKING GROWTH|
|11h30||Welcome by MC, Vikashnee Harbhajan – Executive Director, Master Builders KwaZulu-Natal|
|11h40||Opening address: THE IMPORTANCE OF STARTING WITH A VISION|
By: Prof Nick Binedell – Professor, The University of Pretoria’s Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS)
|12h10||Industry response and address by WCPDF Chairperson, Deon van Zyl|
|12h35||Q&A with Prof Nick Binedell and Deon van Zyl, facilitated by Vikashnee Harbhajan|
|12h45||Lunch break until 13h15|
|Session 2: CREATING CAPACITY FOR GROWTH|
|13h15||Keynote address: PUBLIC INFRASTRUCTURE DELIVERY TO SUPPORT AND STIMULATE ECONOMIC GROWTH AND JOB CREATION|
By: Prof Miriam Altman – Director, Altman Advisory
|13h45||PANEL DISCUSSION AND Q&A|
Facilitator: Bafikile (Bonke) Simelane – Vice President, South African Council for the Project and Construction Management Professions (SACPCMP)
Panellist: Prof Miriam Altman – Director, Altman Advisory
What we need for growth by panellist Prof Bonang Mohale – Chairperson, Bidvest Group Limited & SBV Services and Chancellor, University of the Free State
Infrastructure capacity for growth by panellist Carshif Talip – Expertise Leader Land Infrastructure & Urban Planning, Zutari
Procurement for growth by panellist Anne-Rine Brink – Manager: Supply Chain & Network Operations, Deloitte Consulting
|14h25||Closing by MC, Vikashnee Harbhajan – Executive Director, Master Builders KwaZulu-Natal|
DAY 2: FRIDAY, 21 MAY 2021 | 11h30 – 14h30
|Session 4: ECONOMIC POLICY FOR GROWTH|
|13h15||Keynote address: BUDGETING FOR GROWTH AT LOCAL MUNICIPALITY LEVEL
By: Prof Brian Kantor – Chairperson: Research Institute, Investec Wealth and Investment and Professor Emeritus, University of Cape Town
|13h45||PANEL DISCUSSION AND Q&A
Facilitator: Andrew Boraine – CEO, Western Cape Economic Development Partnership (EDP)
Panellist: Prof Brian Kantor – Chairperson: Research Institute, Investec Wealth and Investment and Professor Emeritus, University of Cape Town
A local municipality’s perspective by panellist Kevin Jacoby – Chief Financial Officer, City of Cape Town
A developer’s perspective by panellist John Matthews – CEO, Garden Cities
A financing perspective by panellist Cas Coovadia – CEO, Business Unity South Africa and past MD of The Banking Association SA
|14h25||Closing by MC, Deon van Zyl – Chairperson, WCPDF|
Fees & Registration
If you have a scheduling conflict with one of our events or even miss a session because you were late to register or had a last minute deadline or meeting you could not miss, don’t worry – if you’ve paid for an event (either pre or post), you will continue to have access to all paid-up event recordings and speaker presentations, so you will have plenty of time to catch up on all the action you missed.
We therefore highly recommend that you register for all events. If you’re not yet a member of WCPDF, please click here.
Terms & Conditions:
- Registration must take place online. Registration queries may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 0713481780.
- Registration fees exclude VAT.
- Payment must be made no later than two working days ahead of the event.
- Cancellations must be submitted in writing no later than seven working days ahead of the event to qualify for a full refund.
- Cancellations received within two working days of the event will not qualify for a refund.
- Delegate substitutions are allowed and must be submitted in writing no later than two working days ahead of the event.
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances we reserve the right to cancel or change the dates of the programme in which case refunds will be applied where applicable.
- Whilst SBS Conferences and WCPDF will take all necessary measures to ensure a seamless virtual event experience for all, as all speakers and delegates are located in different locations, the quality of the experience will be dependent on the respective internet connections. We are also unable to take responsibility for load shedding instituted by Eskom that may limit the experience.
- The information collected during registration will be used to communicate with you regarding your participation at our events and/or to share industry-related information, including work undertaken by the WCPDF on behalf of the property development and construction industry. You may unsubscribe at any time
WCPDF would like to acknowledge and sincerely thank the following sponsors for their support:
Accreditation has been confirmed for the following professions:
ASAQS: 2 CPD hours per day, or 4 CPD hours if you attend both days (Category 1).
ECSA (via SAICE): 0.3 CPD credits (3 hours) per day, or 0.6 CPD credits (6 hours) if you attend both days.
SACAP (via CIfA): 0.5 CPD credits per day, or 1 CPD credit if you attend both days.
SACPCMP: 2 CPD hours per day, or 4 CPD hours if you attend both days (Category A non-core).
SACPLAN: 2 CPD points per day, or 4 CPD points if you attend both days (Activity: Focus 6, Sub-area 6.7) .
SAGC: 0.5 CPD credits per day, or 1 CPD credit if you attend both days (Category 1).
The WCPDF Vision for Growth Virtual Conference is being organised by:
Deon van Zyl
Bafikile (Bonke) Simelane
For registration queries, please contact:
Strategic Business Services t/a SBS Conferences
071 348 1780
PO Box 1586, Durbanville, 7551